Centre for International Experience

Immigration Information

Documents Required for Immigration

Anyone wishing to study in Canada for more than six months and who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident must obtain a Study Permit and in some cases a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa) before entering Canada. Prospective students should contact the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate as soon as they receive their offer of admission from the University. Citizens of the USA, Greenland or St. Pierre et Miquelon may apply at the Canadian border, or online before their arrival.


You will need the following documents to apply for a study permit:


  • Acceptance letter / offer of admission from the University of Toronto with details about the academic program, such as the name of the program, duration, expected start and graduation dates.  It is helpful if this can also include the tuition cost for the first year of the program.
  • Evidence of  sufficient funds that will cover at least one year of your tuition and living expenses. This usually means the cost of tuition plus at least Cdn$10,000 per year for single students; an additional Cdn$4,000 for students with an accompanying spouse in Canada; and Cdn$3,000 for each additional accompanying dependent in Canada.
  • Proof of medical clearance, depending on your country of residence. For more information about medical exam requirements, please visit the CIC webpage.
  • Valid passport or travel document.
  • Any other documentation requested by the issuing office (you should consult the website of the office you are applying to).


If your application is approved, you will receive a study permit approval letter, and where necessary a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa). You need to show the approval letter upon entry to Canada to get the actual Study Permit.


Please note that the Study Permit application process, in particular, the medical clearance, can be very time-consuming. You should therefore apply for a Study Permit as soon as you receive notification of your acceptance from the university. Under no circumstances should you leave for Canada until you have received your Study Permit approval letter and, if necessary, a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa). It is not possible to change from visitor status to student status within Canada (however, there are a few exceptions as noted on this CIC webpage in the section “Applying for a study permit from within Canada”).


Students who have been studying at a secondary school in Canada must ensure that they apply for a new Study Permit that is valid for university level study before beginning classes.



Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) requires students who are less than 17 years old to find a custodian in Canada. The age of majority in Ontario is 18. So if a student is under 17 years old, he/she is required to have a custodian in Canada. If the student is between the age of 17 and 18, it is at the discretion of the immigration officer to require or waive the custodianship requirement. The custodian must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. There are a number of organizations that offer custodianship services. Unfortunately, the University of Toronto does not provide custodianship services - you must find a custodian yourself. Please see the Immigration Canada webpage for full details about the custodianship requirement.


Applicants Who Can Apply for a Study Permit at the Canadian Border:

Current immigration regulations allow citizens and permanent residents of the United States, residents of Greenland, and residents of St. Pierre et Miquelon to apply at the border while entering Canada. However, it is highly recommended that applicants from the above countries apply online to the closest Canadian consulate in their countries prior to their arrival in Canada.


Application Procedures:

Application forms and guidelines for the initial Study Permit can be downloaded from the Immigration Canada website. However, it is highly recommended that you apply online, if this option is accepted by the Canadian Consulate or Visa Application Centre that you are applying to.


Don’t Let Your Study Permit Expire:

Note the expiry date on your Study Permit. If your course of study requires you to remain in Canada beyond that date, you must obtain an extension of your Study Permit at least 2-3 months before the expiry date. The extension of your Study Permit is an application done in Canada. Please see this other webpage for more information about applying to CIC online. 

For more information visit the links below:


Immigration Information

When you arrive at U of T, you will be welcomed with a host of orientation activities and all the hard work you put into preparation for your arrival will have paid off.