Social Insurance Number
Getting a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
In order to work in Canada, you must make sure that you have (1) authorization to work and (2) a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You can obtain a SIN at a Service Canada office — please see the Working in Canada section of this website for more information about work authorization. Your SIN will expire at the same time as your Study Permit or Work Permit. If you would like to renew your SIN, you will need the same documents as you did for the initial application. Please note that there is no fee for getting the SIN number and in most cases the SIN will be given to you when you apply for it. Service Canada has stopped giving out SIN cards as of March 2014. So all you need is your SIN number.
Apply for your SIN in person at a Service Canada Office. Here is a list of Service Canada Offices near campus that process SIN applications.
- 25 St. Clair Ave. East, Toronto, Ontario,
- 559 College Street, Suite 100, Toronto, Ontario
- 100 Queen Street West, floor 1 Toronto Ontario.
Additional offices and locations can be found on the Service Canada website
What you need to do to get a SIN
Study Permit Holders:
If you have received your study permit before June 1st, 2014:
To get a Social Insurance Number, you need to go through the following 3 steps:
- 1. Get the Confirmation of Enrollment letter from your registrar’s office.
- 2. Submit an online enquiry to get approved by CIC. Click this link to submit the request for the “Confirmation to Work” letter.
- 3. Get the approval Letter from CIC called “Confirmation to Work Letter” and then go to Service Canada (with your passport and study permit).
If you have received your study permit after June 1st, 2014 and it includes statements such as “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada, then you can take the study permit and your passport to Service Canada to get the SIN. If your study permit does not have these statements, you need to go through the 3-step process described above.
Work Permit Holders:
If you hold a co-op or post-graduation work permit you can take the following documents to Service Canada to get your new SIN or update your current SIN:
- Co-Op / Post Graduation Work Permit
For further details about acquiring a specific work permit, please visit the Working in Canada section of this website.
When you arrive at U of T, you will be welcomed with a host of orientation activities and all the hard work you put into preparation for your arrival will have paid off.