Centre for International Experience

Social Insurance Number

Getting a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

In order to work in Canada, you must make sure that you have both authorization to work and a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You can obtain a SIN at a Service Canada office — please see the Working in Canada section of this website for more information about work authorization. Your SIN will expire at the same time as your Study Permit/ Work Permit.  If you would like to renew your SIN, you will require the same documents as you did for the initial application.

Apply for your SIN in person at a Service Canada Office.

The main Toronto office is:
25 St. Clair Ave. East — located at the intersection of Yonge St. and St. Clair Ave. East
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Other Service Canada offices close to St. George campus include:
Little Italy (College & Manning)

Please visit the Service Canada website for further information and additional office locations.

Required Documents

For on-campus work, you will need the following documents to apply for your SIN:

  • Passport
  • Study Permit
  • Letter of Confirmation of Employment

The letter must contain the following information: 

  • student's surname and given name,
  • student's gender,
  • student's date of birth,
  • study permit document number,
  • date the study permit was signed,
  • date of expiry of the study permit,
  • name of the on-campus department or on-campus business hiring the student,
  • employer's name,
  • civic address where the work will be performed,
  • employer's signature,
  • employer's telephone number,
  • employment start and end dates, and
  • signature of student and date signed.

For further details of the employment contract, please visit the Service Canada website.

For off-campus, co-op and post graduation work permit holders, you will need the following documents to apply for your SIN:

  • Passport
  • Specific Work Permit

For further details about acquiring a specific work permit, please visit the relevant section of the Working in Canada section of this website.

After You Apply

After you have submitted your SIN application, you will receive an “Acknowledgement of Application for SIN” which you will then need to give to your employer for processing your pay.

It may take 4 to 6 for weeks for your SIN card to be mailed to you.



Social Insurance Number

When you arrive at U of T, you will be welcomed with a host of orientation activities and all the hard work you put into preparation for your arrival will have paid off.