Centre for International Experience

Study Permits

Applying For An Initial Study Permit

If you wish to study in Canada and are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, then you must have a valid Study Permit to study in a program of 6 months or more. Applications for initial Study Permits can only be done outside of Canada. Prospective University of Toronto students should go to our Required Immigration Documentation section for complete details regarding what is required before coming to Canada.

Application forms and guidelines for a new Study Permit can be downloaded from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

International high school students currently studying in Canada:
All international students attending secondary school in Canada must apply for a new study permit that allows them to study at a post-secondary institution.  If a student does not have a study permit for the post-secondary level, they cannot begin their studies at the University of Toronto.

Learn about how to avoid delays in your study permit processing.

Extending A Study Permit

All international students at the University of Toronto in a program of 6 months or more must have a valid Study Permit. It is important to know when your Study Permit expires. If your studies require you to remain in Canada beyond the expiry date, you must obtain an extension of your Study Permit before it expires. It is recommended that you apply for an extension two to three months before the expiry date.  


You should ensure that your passport is valid until the end of your study period. If you need to obtain a new passport, you are advised to begin this process four months before your passport expires. You should contact your home country's Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in Canada.


Information and instructions about how to apply for a Study Permit extension can be found on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. The application can either be completed online and submitted electronically or it can be downloaded and printed out.


Important Information about Applying Online:

As of December 2012, students who wish to apply online for a study permit extension must first answer a series of questions in the "Come to Canada" assessment tool to determine their eligibility.  Completing this tool will generate a personal checklist code.  (If you are having difficulty with the questions or the process, please contact CIE's advisors.)  After logging in to your MyCIC account, select "Apply Online".  At this point, you will be asked to enter your personal checklist code.  You may then proceed with your application.


NOTE: If your Study Permit expires and you have already submitted an application to renew it, but have not yet received a decision from CIC, you have what is called “Implied Status”. This means you can continue studying until you receive a decision.  


IMPORTANT: The Centre for International Experience strongly advises you to make an appointment with a CIE International Student Advisor before mailing your application.

It is also recommended that before you submit your application, you make photocopies of your application and all supporting documentation to keep for your own records for future reference.

If mailing your application form to the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Vegreville, Alberta, it is recommended that you use a registered mail service to ensure that it will arrive faster, to confirm that CPC has received your application and to have a record that the application was sent.


Getting Documents from the University of Toronto

One of the documents required to apply for a Study Permit extension is a letter or a confirmation of enrolment from The University of Toronto stating that you are a registered student. This can be obtained by visiting the Registrar’s Office in your College or Faculty, or the School of Graduate Studies if you are a Graduate student.


The letter or Confirmation of Enrolment should include: Registrar’s information, start and end dates, fees paid, full- or part-time status, program, year enroled and program length.


Restoration of Status

If your Study Permit expires and you have not submitted an application to have it extended, you will be considered "out of status". Please contact our CIE advisors immediately to arrange an appointment.  You can apply for Restoration of Status within 90 days of the expiration of your Study Permit. You will be required to pay an additional fee of $200 to restore your student status, as well as the regular processing fee of $125 for the Study Permit extension.



Study Permits

When you arrive at U of T, you will be welcomed with a host of orientation activities and all the hard work you put into preparation for your arrival will have paid off.